Pulse of the Platte

An interactive story of river dynamics in Nebraska.

Or play with data now!

A river is not just a current of water.
It's the interconnected and complex entirety of its landscape. Everyone has a river that has influenced their life.

This project looks to communicate the patterns, fluctuations, and phenology of the
Platte River Basin, Nebraska.

The Platte River? Why should I care?

That trickle of water- it's important.
Famously known as a mile wide and an inch deep the braided channels of the Platte play a bigger role than providing scenery while driving on I-80. The Platte supplies freshwater to an arid and vast region of the Great Plains, an area that supports millions of people, wildlife, and agricultural.

platte map

But isn't earth made mostly of water?

Yes, but not useable water. Over 97% of the earth's water is salt water in the ocean. Fresh water makes up a remaining 3%, of which over 60% of that is locked into glaciers or difficult/expensive to reach underground. Less than 0.3% of all water on earth is surface water accessible for direct human use. This accessible water is found in lakewetlands, and rivers such as the Platte.
A resource essential to the survival of life, freshwater is limited. water2

Sharing is Caring

Our use of water is just one, although large, piece of an interconnnected web of people, organizations, wildlife, and businesses, that rely on the Platte River. How we use water, effects the entirety of the river system, putting added pressure up stream and limiting use downstream.

What are we doing & How are we doing it

Our goal for this project is to engage, educate, and provide a platform for people to explore the dynamics of a freshwater resource. We have synthesized collected data to visualize the patterns, changes, and phenology occuring in the Platte River Basin.

Our data collection methods include:

Explore The data

How is the river changing?

There is a visible pattern of changes on the Platte River, variables such as water levels and crane roosts, that are documented by time-lapse photography. But less evident changes are occuring.
Important variables change within the water, such as temperature and dissolved oxygen, and on the water's edge, such as bat and frog activity, that can't alwayas be seen.

Which do you wish to explore?

I will put some contact stuff in here.

I love the taste of water. Especially frozen into cubes and completely surrounded by whiskey.